This is what was typically known as the ‘wildlife bus’. It takes you from the city of Nairobi, through the coffee, pineapple and tea plantations in central Kenya, crossing the equator to the northern frontier where you find Gravy zebra, gerenuks, Oryx and reticulated giraffe at Samburu, At Lake Nakuru vast numbers of greater and lesser flamingos are a sight to behold, the white and black rhinos should be easy to spot among the buffalo herds as you look for the tree climbing lions.
Why you’ll love this safari tour
- The Big Five game drives
- Over 55 different wild mammal species including tree climbing lions, hippos, cape buffaloes and both black and white rhinos
- Get a chance to cross the Equator on foot
- See the spectacular regal reticulated giraffes and Grévy’s zebras
- Rich birdlife with thousands of flamingos and over 450 other species of both resident and migratory birds
- Optional homestead visit
Day 1: Jomo Kenyatta International Airport to Nairobi
Pick from Jomo Kenyatta International Airport and drive to a Nairobi Hotel.
Day 2: Nairobi to Samburu National Game Reserve
This Game reserve is run by the Samburu County Government and is famed for it’s spectacular regal reticulated giraffes, the long necked gerenuks that can always be seen on two feet as they browse on acacia leaves and the uniquely coloured beisa oryx among the Big Five and more.
Depart from your hotel 08:00hrs and drive through coffee & pineapple plantations and the smallholdings of the Kikuyu, Kenya’s largest tribe stopping en route for a picnic lunch. Continue north across the Equator, leaving Mount Kenya on your right, before losing altitude as you gently descend into Kenya’s arid Northern Frontier District. After arriving at your lodge you are taken on an afternoon game drive within the vicinity of the camp. Dinner and overnight at Sopa Lodge.
Day 3: Samburu National Game Reserve
A full day game viewing to look for the ‘Big Five’ and the various species of animals found in Kenya, only in the northern parks, such as the Grévy’s zebra, gerenuk and reticulated giraffe. Dinner and overnight at Sopa lodge.
Day 4: Samburu National Game Reserve and Lake Nakuru
After an early morning game drive and breakfast, depart for Lake Nakuru National Park, stopping en route for a picnic lunch. This park is known as the World’s greatest Bird Spectacle. You expect to see greater and lesser flamingos, water bucks, buffalos and probably rhinos. Arrive for evening game drive. Dinner and overnight Lake Nakuru at Sarova Lionhill Lodge.
Day 5: Lake Nakuru and Masai Mara
After early morning game drive return to camp for breakfast and proceed to the Masai Mara Game Reserve stopping en route for a picnic lunch. After arriving at your campsite you are taken on an afternoon game drive within the vicinity of the camp. Dinner and overnight at Sopa Lodge.
Day 6: Masai Mara
After an early breakfast you are taken on a morning game drive in the Masai Mara Game Reserve with a visit to Hippo Pools. After lunch in camp enjoy a late afternoon game drive to search for some of the game not yet seen. Dinner and overnight at Sopa lodge.
Day 7: Masai Mara
On this day you have an option of an early morning game drive, the return to camp for breakfast mid morning after which your naturalist will take you for a nature walk on the surrounding hills, coupled with a homestead visit, your driver may have to drive you to the most suitable ‘manyattas’, alternatively you may opt to repeat day two’s program only different direction this time round. Overnight at Sopa Lodge.
Day 8: Masai Mara to Nairobi
Early morning game drive returning for breakfast mid morning then bidding your camp attendants farewell as you depart for Nairobi taking with you a picnic lunch and an experience of a lifetime. Arrive Nairobi in time for you to check in at the train station.
Cost Per Person
$180 – $420 PPS/Day
8 Days – 7 Nights
Best Time To Go
June to October, January to February
Min: 2 People
Suitable for all ages
Safari styled vehicles
July to November, January and February
- Transport in safari vehicles
- English speaking driver/guide
- Full board on safari
- Accommodation – sharing twin tents/rooms
- Toilets and showers camp style
- Staffing as necessary
- Camp fees
- Park fees payable directly at the park gates (Masai Mara US$80 x3, Nakuru US$75, Samburu US$80 x2) per person
- Medical and evacuation insurance (available on request)
- Expenses of a personal nature
- Tips and gratuities
- Drinks including bottled water
- Personal laundry
- Homestead visits (variable – best negotiated through driver/guide)
- Walking fees $15
Recommended to bring
- Hat, sunglasses and light clothing during the daytime
- Warm clothing for the cool evenings
- Comfortable walking shoes
- Camera, binoculars
- Personal toiletries including soap, towels
- Insect repellent
- Malaria medication as recommended by your doctor
- Antiseptic cream and liquid
- Sunscreen SPF 35
- Bottled water
- Reading material