This epic adventure safari highlights the wealth of Kenya as a safari destination. Lake Nakuru the bird paradise will amaze anyone on the numbers and colors of the different bird species. The large numbers of buffalo herds an rhinos are hard to miss. The Mara is the concentration of the game of the vast Serengeti in a smaller area making it a very popular destination to catch the animals in various state of action.
Why you’ll love this safari tour
- The Big Five (lion, leopard, rhinoceros, elephant and buffalo)
- Great vantage viewpoints to view the wildlife
- View the Great Migration during July to October
- Prolific birdlife, hundreds of species of both resident and migratory birds at both locations
- Wildlife also includes cheetahs, wildebeest, zebras, gazelles, buffaloes, black and white rhinos, hippos and crocodiles
Day 1 – Nairobi to Lake Nakuru National Park
Pick up from a pre-arranged place and depart for Lake Nakuru National Park, to be there for a picnic lunch. This park is known as the World’s greatest Bird Spectacle. You expect to see greater and lesser flamingos, waterbucks, buffalos and probably rhinos. Arrive for evening game drive. Dinner and overnight camp/lodge at Lake Nakuru.
Day 2 – Lake Nakuru National Park and Masai Mara National Reserve
Masai Mara is one of the world’s finest wilderness areas – home of the ‘Big Five’ – elephant, rhino, buffalo, leopard and, in particular, the black mane lion – and an extension of the Serengeti plains famous for the spectacle of the annual migration of thousands of wildebeest and zebra from the Serengeti.
The semi-permanent Camp consists of two man tents large enough to stand in, hot showers, mess tent and good camp food is served. Short walks in the surrounding area give you a chance to notice all the tiny insects, birds, game and flora you never have the opportunity to see from a vehicle.
Day 3 – Masai Mara National Reserve
After an early breakfast you are taken on a full day game drive in the Reserve with a visit to Hippo Pools where you’ll have your lunch. After which you enjoy a late afternoon game drive to search for some of the game not yet seen. Dinner and overnight camp/lodge at Masai Mara.
Day 4 – Masai Mara National Reserve
Early morning game drive to catch the animals at their most active before the sun heats up the area and they all go into hiding. Returning to camp mid morning for breakfast thereafter relax at camp or take guided walks to the surrounding hills or for those interested a drive to one of the lodges for swim to ward off the heat.
Returning in time to go back to the park for evening game drives or a repeat of day two’s itinerary only on different routes. Return to camp for dinner and a chat around the fire before retiring for the night Alternatively a full day game drive with picnic lunch can be arranged discuss options with driver guide night before.
Day 5 – Masai Mara National Reserve to Nairobi
An early morning game drive returning to camp for breakfast after which you bid the staff goodbye and return to Nairobi
Cost Per Person per day
$180 – $420 PPS/Day
5 Days – 4 Nights
Best Time To Go
June to October, January to February
Min: 2 People
Suitable for all ages
Safari styled vehicles
July to November, January and February
- Transport in safari vehicles
- English speaking driver/guide
- Full board on safari
- Accommodation in sharing twin tents/rooms
- Staffing as necessary
- Camp fees
- Park fees ($80 Nakuru, $80 x3 Masai Mara) pp
- Medical and evacuation insurance (available on request)
- Expenses of a personal nature
- Tips and gratuities
- Drinks including bottled water
- Personal laundry
- Homestead visits (variable – best negotiated through driver/guide)
- Walking fees $15
Recommended to bring
- Hat, sunglasses and light clothing during the daytime
- Warm clothing for the cool evenings
- Comfortable walking shoes
- Camera, binoculars
- Personal toiletries including soap, towels
- Insect repellent
- Malaria medication as recommended by your doctor
- Antiseptic cream and liquid
- Sunscreen SPF 35
- Bottled water
- Reading material