Masai Mara, has been in contention for consideration as the eighth wonder of the world, thanks to the annual wildebeest and zebra migration that sees 1.5million animals trek from the Serengeti in Tanzania to Kenya between July and October. It is home to the big five among other wildlife not to mention the charismatic regal looking Maasai people who have co-existed with the wildlife in their day to day nomadic lifestyle.
Why you’ll love this safari tour
- The Big Five (lion, leopard, rhinoceros, elephant and buffalo)
- Famous for its population of large predators including leopards, lions, cheetahs and crocodiles
- View the Great Migration of wildebeest, zebras, topis and Thomson’s gazelles from July to October
- The Serengeti-Mara ecosystem offers an enormous diversity of flora and fauna
- Over 450 species of birds including 57 birds of prey
Day 1: Nairobi to Masai Mara Game Reserve
Depart from Nairobi Hotel at 08:00hrs and transfer to ABC Place for shopping before heading in a westerly direction; stopping at escarpment of the Great Rift Valley, then pass the twin volcanoes of Suswa and Longonot situated in The Great Rift Valley. Estimated time of arrival to your camp/lodge is approximately 13:30hrs for lunch and a short siesta. After settling in you go out for a game drive in The Masai Mara Game Reserve. Return to your lodge at 18:00hrs, dinner and a chat around the campfire before retiring for the night.
Day 2: Masai Mara Game Reserve
On this day you have two options which you will discuss the night before with your driver guide.
Breakfast at 06:30hrs. Thereafter depart for a day’s game drive in the game reserve. The views, lighting and variety of game remain unsurpassed by other game reserves, with common sightings of some and sometimes all the big and little five (rhino, elephant, lion, buffalo and leopard). Lunch will be served enroute. Your drive back to camp/lodge will follow a different route arriving before sunset. Dinner and chat around the campfire before retiring for the night.
Alternatively You may opt to leave very early to be at the gate at 06:30hrs for an early morning game drive returning at 10:30hrs for a heavy breakfast or a ‘brunch’ the laze around camp, swim or drive to visit Masai dwellings and returning back for the evening game drive around 16:00hrs.
Day 3: Masai Mara Game Reserve to Nairobi
Depart for an early morning game drive at 06:30hrs, which will enable you to catch the animals in the cool of the morning when they are at their liveliest and hopefully see some of the nocturnal animals before they hide from the heat of the day. Thereafter return for breakfast before packing and departing for the return trip to Nairobi. Your approximated time of arrival in Nairobi will be around 15:00hrs.
Cost Per Person
$180 – $420 PPS/Day
3 Days – 2 Nights
Best Time To Go
June to October, January to February
Min: 2 People
Suitable for all ages
Safari styled vehicles
July to November, January and February
- Transport in safari vehicles
- English speaking driver/guide
- Full board on safari
- Accommodation in sharing double room at camp/lodge
- Staffing as necessary
- Park entrance fees
- Medical and evacuation insurance (available on request)
- Expenses of a personal nature
- Tips and gratuities
- Drinks including bottled water
- Personal laundry
- Homestead visits (variable – best negotiated through driver/guide)
- Walking fees
Recommended to bring
- Hat, sunglasses and light clothing during the daytime
- Warm clothing for the cool evenings
- Comfortable walking shoes
- Camera, binoculars
- Personal toiletries including soap, towels
- Insect repellent
- Malaria medication as recommended by your doctor
- Antiseptic cream and liquid
- Sunscreen SPF 35
- Bottled water
- Reading material