Samburu National Game Reserve is located about 350km from Nairobi this 165km sq game reserve sits on the banks of Ewaso Ng’iro river. On the other side of the river is Buffalo Springs Game Reserve.
This park is a birder’s paradise with over 350 species of birds. It offers a contrast to other parks found south of the equator in that it has reticulated giraffe, Grévy’s zebra and gerenuks. The Big Five will be found there.
The Samburu community that inhabit the area are close relatives of the Maasai and will be seen adorned in the conspicuous red and blue Masai blankets.
Why you’ll love this game reserve
- The Big Five (lion, leopard, rhinoceros, elephant and buffalo)
- Visit the local Samburu villages
- Get a chance to cross the Equator on foot
- Park famous as one of the homes of Elsa the Lioness that George and Joy Adamson adopted as immortalised by award-winning movie Born Free
- Reticulated giraffes and Grévy’s zebras
- Doum palms
- Rich birdlife over 350 species