Karura Forest Reserve was gazetted in 1932 this 1041ha forest is a public property managed by Kenya Forest Service and Friends of Karura forest community Association. This forest has three rivers running through it and has both plantation trees and indigenous trees. The forest offers ideal well marked, walking and running tracks that criss cross the vast forest. There are various well marked cycling tracks and three shops that dispense mountain bikes for hire.
Contact us for bike rental services.
Why you’ll love this forest reserve
- Best public picnic sites
- Bird watching – over 200 species of bird including the African Crowned Eagle
- Butterfly watching include the African Queen and Desmond’s Green Banded Swallowtail
- Over 50 km of marked forest walking trails
- Spectacular scenic waterfalls and rivers throughout the forest
- Visit the world famous Mau Mau caves
- Wildlife includes colobus monkeys, bush babies, bush pigs, porcupines and fruit bats